Re: Iron transformer positioning under the primary experiment

Hi Garry,

I suspect this is exactly what DC is getting at. However, we should probably keep things in perspective. If we assume 20KV is being discharged into, say a 10 turn primary, each turn will have 2000V. There may be a loop created between the NST terminals and the Terry filter equivilent to a one turn loop antenna that could be coupled into by the primary by some amount. Lets say the coupling is the same as between primary and secondary and is k=0.15. This would result in a 300V signal coupled into this NST/filter loop bypassing the filter benefit to some extent - probably not significant compared to the 20KV RF that the Terry filter is trying to keep off the NST.

Gerry R.

Original poster: "Garry Freemyer" <garryfre@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hmm, I wonder if he means that parts of the filter might act as antennas
that pick up high frequency.

It would be a rather conclusive experiment to scope the outputs of the NST
and see if moving the filter has any effect.

If it proves the Doctor right, it would be a good case for possibly
enclosing the filter in some sort of grounded, gel or wax filled metal
container and see if that has any fixes. Any coil that I might have that has
more than 3 parts to remember to take along would be a nightmare, of me
forgetting parts at home and at destination.