Re: Primary magnetic field plots

Very cool Terry! Sucks however (slow dial-up and 35MB). I'll have to wait until Monday and download it at work. Looks like a fun tool. The field is more "compacted" around the rings than I had envisioned (the magnified gif is what I expected). I guess now a matter of knowing the field strength reaching down to the MOT. The MOT's influence under power is yet another source of EM and the interaction will be interesting.

Thanks for the Maxwell 2D source.
Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Hi,

For my little SISG coil, I got the Ansoft Maxwell 2D thing going:

http://www.ansoft.com/maxwellsv/
http://coolmagnetman.com/basic_user_manual.pdf

Here are the flux lines of the coil set up with the MOT under the coil and a fan to the right side:

http://drsstc.com/~sisg/files/SISG-coil/Field-Flux.gif

Very few flux lines make it up to the top terminal and the aluminum fan seems to be transparent to magnetic flux. The big iron transformer bends the lines around.

We then can look at the B field (in Teslas ;-))

http://drsstc.com/~sisg/files/SISG-coil/Field-B.gif

The transformer attracts some of this field and is energized by it slightly.

The plot of field energy is where the "power" is at:

http://drsstc.com/~sisg/files/SISG-coil/Field-Energy.gif

The power stays "very close" to the primary coil turns. That is why those big metal things in the area of the primary do not affect things much. If we increase the sensitivity, we can see more detail:

http://drsstc.com/~sisg/files/SISG-coil/Field-Energy-1.gif

The energy still clings very close to the primary but you can see it touching the secondary now. If we really turn up the magnification, you can see the transformer having a tiny effect:

http://drsstc.com/~sisg/files/SISG-coil/Field-Energy-2.gif

Sort of cool!!

Cheers,

    Terry