Re: Homemade Voltage Divider

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx In a message dated 1/28/06 3:07:02 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>It's also very simple to do this type of
>measurement by simply monitoring the input
>potential to the power xmfr.

>It's easy to do and always accurate since the
>xmfr ratio never changes. Initial (test)
>measurements are taken with a HV probe or divider
>to insure accuracy on the meter calibration.

But wouldn't this not apply to a NST or other current-limited/ballasted transformer used as a charging source? You could put full voltage to the primary side of the charging circuit, and still have zero volts on the secondary. I guess the thing to do with a ballasted transformer is to put the meter on the primary taps themselves, after the ballast. But you can't do that with a NST, OBIT, or other shunted-core transformer. Also won't work with a flyback or induction coil inverter - unless you added some more measurements and fancy calculations? My biggest worry with direct HV measurement of a cap bank would be the possibility of the divider flashing over or failing. Would a water or "rubber hose" resistor be safer than a bunch of little 1/2 watt units?

-Phil LaBudde