From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2006 11:29 AM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Multiple Toroids (was: 48KWATT DRSSTC Warmup)

Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

Curt,

Its simply to allow the top toroid to be raised up as high as
possible.  This tends to get the sparks further from the primary and
the actual ground.  This is a problem when the sparks are 3X longer
than the secondary winding.  In my case i had to keep raising the
toroid because the coil was arcing to the ground so much that i
couldnt realize its fullest potential spark length.  If you raise the
main toroid too high, it will break out of the windings, hence you add
the lower shielding toroid.  Some people have even gone with 3
toploads.

Steve