Re: Toroid cores for GDTs

Original poster: Skip Malley <skip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Steve, I know EXACTLY what you are referring to. The transformers that I am talking to are EXACTLY what you describe. These are trifilar wound with VERY close windings on a ferrite toroid core. See my other reply. For the switching power supplies I designed, I originally used a GDT from Pulse Engineering. These were of the EE core design. These had occasional problems. I eventually changed to a toroid trifilar wound toroid. The leakage inductance was about 1/10th of the EE core design. All problems were solved. the ones in my link http://www.lse.com.tw/upfiles/spec01125457782.pdf are EXACTLY what you and others are describing as the better transformer.

Skip