Re: hello

Do not try to roll the caps yourself. Small crinkles will produce local corona due to different dielectric constants thus producing hot spots which will destroy the capacitors. They also require vacuum evacuation and must be oil-filled --- very messy.

We made MMC style capacitor banks by connecting in series a group of 0.15 uF 2 kV capacitors. 15 units in series would produce a .01 uF capacitor at 30 kV rating. These are small and work great for Tesla coil systems. We carry them in stock at $3.00 per capacitor plus shipping costs.

Our website at www.resonanceresearch.com.

Dr. Resonance

Original poster: "Dr. Adriano Mollica" <adriano.mollica@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello,
my name is Adriano, and I live in Italy. I lived also for a year of year in Tucson, Arizona. I just started to project my first tesla Coil, and i'm experiening some general problems.

I started to design the device around a NST 7KV , 50mA. then using the tesla coil design free software i calculated the capacitor resonating valueand it come out to be 22nF. Then , someone with more experience in tesla coil design told me that that value was not good, so he told me to swich to 37nF. It was ok for me, but now i'm in trouble because i can'tf ind that right caps with reasonable price. So i decided to do them by myself, using alumium foil and polyethylene as insulator.

My usual hardware store sold to me a 2 quare meters foil for 15$ (13.50 euros). that it is not enoght for that capacitor i need (i calculated 1.87 m^2) but i'm going to divide that foil into 3 or 4 pieces, and buy another one or two more, in order to be able to build 4 or more capacitos of 10 nF each.

But anyway this is not the main problem, the real one, is how to connect efficiently the copper wires to the aluminium foil, 'cause i suppose that the high voltage can start some sparks that will ruine the aluminium foil and the isolant very quickly.

I red about rolled poly caps here, but no one explained very well and delailed how to make a safe ad durable connection between the armours and the coming out wires.

any ideas?

thank you for your patience and sorry for my grammatical errors.

Adriano