Re: Critical rise time (RE: Terry's New Plane Wave Antenna)

Hi Marco,

OK, I think what you say makes sense to me given that "gap" is the space between the topload and a target and not the primary spark gap that I think of. Next challange is to translate the "critical rise time" into TC terms it seems :o)))

Gerry R.

Original poster: "Marco Denicolai" <marco.denicolai@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Gerry (and Dmitry too),

Forget about envelope, bang rate, etc. The gap doesn't know you are using a
TC, the authors that wrote those papers didn't have a TC.

We are simply talking about a potential rising up to a maximum (crest) value
and then falling down to zero. Standard definitions are SI (Switching
impulse), LI (lightning impulse), etc. Or they can report, for example, 1/50
us, which means a waveform rising in 1 us to its maximum (roughly) and
falling to 50% of it in 50 us.

So take a gap, apply a SINGLE pulse with a certain rise time, fall time and
with a peak value of U50 (i.e. a voltage that in 50% cases results in
breakdown). How fast the breakdown will come? The fastest will be when
applying a pulse of "critical rise time".

Now, all the speculations about fo, bang repetition, sinewave shape,
envelope, etc. are extrapolations we don't know about. We need to start from
the elementary pieces (a positive discharge, a negative discharge) in order
to build much more complicated waveforms, as the TC generates.

Best Regards