Re: vv Critical rise time,

Original poster: "Bob (R.A.) Jones" <a1accounting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Leigh,

I don't have any difficulty in getting down to semantics so long as it helps
our understanding.

Try this analogy.

If we have a line (continuous repeating wave) we can modulate it into a
dashed line.

If we have an "A" (finite non repeating wave form) we can convolve it with a
train of impulses to get a string of "A"s.

In the analogy above the "A" is equivalent to the impulse of the Tesla coil.
Which is a finite non repeating wave form i.e. two beating cosines decaying.
I don't see how you can modulate an "A" to get a string of "A"s

When I have time I will sketch the wave forms and spectrums and get Terry to
temp it. That will probably help

What wave form are you proposing to modulate to get the final wave form of
the coil

> Original poster: "Leigh Copp" <Leigh.Copp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi Bob,
>
> I know we are getting down to semantics here, but if modulation -is-
> multiplication, I think we are modulating. In breaking the circuit
> (with, insert switching method of choice here) we are effectively
> multiplying the waveform alternately by 1, or 0.
>
> Put another way, repeating a waveform is no different than the digital
> modulation employed on many of the communication methods we use today.
> One amusing example I saw was that of a blanket modulating a smoke
> stream.
>
> If we resort to the IEEE definitions, essentially any variation of any
> parameter of a waveform or signal is considered as modulation.
>
> Now that's twice I have resorted to pulling out the IEEE purple book :)
>
> Leigh
>

> Original poster: "Bob (R.A.) Jones" <a1accounting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>snip

Robert (R. A.) Jones