Re: plasma ball without glass

Original poster: William Beaty <billb@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: Frosty <frosty90@xxxxxxxxx>
> you wont get nearly the same effect in open air as in the bulb, you
> can still draw 1/2 to 1 inch arc off it!! (watch out for RF burns though).

Huh.  If it makes 1" arcs, then maybe it WOULD make an impressive
discharge if dipped into an open bowl of argon.

If you have some welding argon, you need to put some sort of diffuser on
the end of the hose.  This prevents air from being stirred in as the gas
exits.  Me, I adapted the hose to aquarium tubing and put an aquarium air
stone on the end.  Drop it into a big glass flower vase (or even a paper
bag), let it fill with cold argon, then stick a TC lead into the gas and
see what happens.   You can check the level of the argon by probing it
with a live lead from a SSTC or the tip of a "violet ray" TC.

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  206-789-0775    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci