Re: VTTC using 4-400's?

Original poster: Brad Stockdale <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello all,

It's been quite some time since I have worked on any coils or other high voltage fun at all... I am thinking of building a VTTC, however I have not ever made one before -- just normal spark gap coils...

I was given about a dozen 4-400 tubes that were taken out of service as part of the routine maintenance of a local radio station's AM transmitter. Basically they pull the tubes based on the number of hours on them, not by their condition... Therefore, while some of the tube's lifespan is used up, they may still work perfectly fine in a VTTC.

Has anyone here made a coil using 4-400's? Anyone have any words of wisdom? I just hate to let these tubes sit here and collect dust if I can put them to use in a tesla coil.

Thanks,
Brad