Re: HV xray cable revisited

Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>

I'd be careful handling it even when not in operation.
Whether the shield is grounded or not, there's some
amount of capacitance between the shield and the
conductor. It may retain a slight charge whether it's
grounded or not. At work, we have to discharge our 12
kV feeders before we can work on them, as there's
enough capacitance to retain quite a charge. This
probably isn't a problem with the relatively short
runs we use, but it might be if someone has a fairly
long run that they don't want to cut.

Has anyone ever measured the capacitance (or residual
charge) of their cable?

Adam