rotary spark gap design for NST, PT, and PP powered systems

I've written up some design notes on rotary spark gap design for NSTs, PTs, and PP (pole pig) powered Tesla coil systems.

We have been running NSTs of 60 mA, 90 mA, and 120 mA successfully by keeping the break rates down to around 275 pps and using a good Terry filter. For almost one year now in some museum applications operating several times daily, 7 days per week, with no NST failures. The nice break rate also produces nice spark output due to increased plasma pumping and general near-terminal ion cloud pumping. We use 1725 rpm 1/4 hp motors with 6 electrode rotors for NST applications.

If you contact me off-list I will email you the paper and also our part numbers if you need to order pre-cut electrodes to fit your rotors. Rotor design & specification plus motor specification is also part of this paper. Stationary electrodes and solid machined brass stationary electrode holders are also featured.

Dr. Resonance