To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2006 5:09 PM
Subject: Re: Tungsten Blanks

Original poster: fiftyguy@xxxxxxx
 Original poster: Thomas Coyle <<mailto:zxcasd%40gmail.com>zxcasd@xxxxxxxxx>

The actual McMaster numbers are:

Tungsten Carbide, 1.024" diameter:
6": 191.37
12": 365.71

High-density tungsten alloy rod, 1" diameter:
8": 236.47
12": 325.31

Yeah, but the McMaster stuff is alloy, 90% Tungsten, remainder nickle and copper.
Wouldn't these other metals have a deletrious effect on quenching?
Has anybody done testing to determine the importance of the Tungsten purity?
Any definitve answers on whether thoriated, etc. TIG rods work better/worse than the pure ones?

-Phil LaBudde