Re: Source of optical fiber

Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h@xxxx>

Thanx to all who responded, and
Thank You Terry, you are being most generous, as usual.
I`l send you my adress off list.

Grounding issues have made me cave in, and look to optics, for the Musical TC trigger lead. I used to think Fiber Optics was really hard to do, but the 2 pin devices from Industrial Fiber Optics have changed my mind. This is an application where I think Fiber solves a "real" problem: Back emf into the controller, In this case a Roland Synthesiser.

But also the ability to make or break a contact inside a faraday cage, or at a high potential. Oddly enough, a simple contact closure circuit based on fibre, is unavailable from the "Kit" manufacturers. Perhaps because it is trivial to do for anyone who needs it?.

However, it is not at all that easy to get an overview of the different fiber types and terminations.....

Anyway, thanks all for the generous response to this thread.

Cheers, Finn Hammer, coiling in Denmark

Tesla list wrote:

Hi,

One of the reasons raw fiber cable is hard to buy, is because most people can't even give it away...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5850598225

I see it is very rare for fiber to get any bids on e-bay.... Maybe E-bay could change their bidding to allow us to pay people to take our items away :o)))

So Finn, I'll give you all my plastic fiber optic stuff (lots of connectors and transmitters and receivers too) and I'll throw in an extra dollar bill!!! It has all sat here for five years never touched, and I have to clean the place up... So I'll pay to give it to you ;-))))) I wonder how to declare that on the customs forms :D

I'll my stuff is glass fiber or RF now...

Cheers,

        Terry