RE: DC primary?

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

There may be advantages to DC power with very low power and very high
power coils, but for the type most of us build, no, AC is far simpler
and just as good.

Correct on the AC between the primary & secondary generated by virtue of
the L-C resonance and not the mains frequency.

While the two different connection schemes will perform identically,
having the gap in parallel with the NST significantly reduces the high
frequency stuff fed back (i.e. damage) to the NST.  Don't use RFC's -
they do more harm than good.  See
http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/protection.htm

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA