RE: Saturable Reactor Ballast from MOT's

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Excellent!  Somebody on one of the late SR threads
also mentioned that a well-known coiler of the past
(early 1900's) had been using SR's to ballast coils.
In general, it amazes me that they haven't been more
popular, particularly if an arrangement of multiple
cheap transformers can emulate them.  I would be
interested to know of any industry uses of such a
two-transformer arrangement.  My guess is that it's
not well-known simply because the economics for
dual-transformer SRs just aren't there as you approach
the power levels where they're typically used in
industry (just like power companies prefer to use one
three-phase transformer instead of three one-phase
transformers, where consumption of three-phase power
is high--lots of material and money saved).

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE