Re: how deep do the coilers prefer doing it? : )

Hi Dmitry,

At 11:59 AM 2/25/2006, you wrote:
Hallo Terry,

> Original poster: Vardan <vardan01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>>the motor was rated for 5a at full load? and it was drawing 4.7a at
>>idling? % )

> When you cut the rotor down the inductance of the windings drops and
> it draws more current.

my motor is sync now starting from 180v, and at 220v it draws 0.31a -
still not 0.35a - i don`t know why, maybe something is really wrong
here % )

If it works don't worry about it ;-) Perhaps in the case of my 1800 RPM motors (four flats on rotor) there is more metal taken off that raised the current more. As John says, one might not have to take off all that much metal to make it since too. I ground mine way down like the old instructions said.

>>btw - do i need some degree of darkness to use a fluorescent bulb as
>>a strobe? coz i can`t see _any_ pattern

> It is hard to see with fluorescent lights since the phosphore glows
> on after the current drops.  Neon bulbs are best.

he-he-he - i _can`t_ see anything with fluoro! you need something
that light up only at say 300v from 310v peak, coz else you would see a
full sector (or even more) instead of single mark - i`ve learned it
hard way today : ) neons ARE not much better - i used two thyratrons in
series, and they start to glow at 212v, so i have to use variac to
clearly see the mark on 1" diameter "stroboscope disk" : )

Cool! There are LED circuits too but it gets to the point where making a strobe light is too much work to worry about.

i have a couple of questions regarding motor torque - how much is the
braking torque when you just plug motor in and it is trying to start
rotate rsg wheel? is it equal to the moment of inertia of wheel?
when a wheel is achieved the full sync speed, is braking torque drops
to zero? then we really don`t need those horse powers.

I "think" it is the torque where the motor starts to dramatically loose speed. As the load on the motor is increased, it starts to slip more and more, but there is a sudden point where the speed drops off. Basically the maximum torque the motor can put out before the speed falls way off.

Cheers,

        Terry

-----
Let the bass kick! =:-D