Re: Toroid size on Big Coils

Hi Dmitry,

You and I have something in common. We've both lived in cold temps. I was in Minnesota for 10 years and actually felt a chilly -70 (-100 with wind chill). When I was ready to coat my first coil back then, flexibility was important to me. Thus, marine spar varnish was perfect for these conditions. I never had problems with the coil or others to follow. I still use it now in sunny California. I recently received a nice job offer from the company I worked for in Minnesota, so who knows, I may be back in those cold conditions again.

In the US, marine spar varnish is available at just about every hardware store. They must have something similar in your neck of the woods. It goes on thick which is also a plus.

For what it's worth, KVA Effects used this same varnish on their professional coils for quite a while. They have changed over to a better coating designed for HV (I'm not sure what it is. It may by Dolph AC-43 for all I know). However, marine spar varnish is a proven coating for coils and it is affordable.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hallo Barton,

Saturday, February 18, 2006, 1:12:26 AM, you wrote:

> Marine Spar Varnish is flexible and a comparison of flexibility over
> temperature extremes for Dolph's AC-43 might be a worthy research for
> you.

thnx, i`ll try to find it, tho i had never heard about it before % )

-----
Let the bass kick! =:-D