Re: PCBs

Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>

There are two crude tests for PCB's. One is the one
you did, which is to see if it floats. PCB oil sinks.
The next is a flame test. PCB oil doesn't readily
burn. However, even if it passes these tests, it may
have simply been drained and refilled, leaving you
with PCB contaminated oil. Having said all that,
unless you plan on bathing in the stuff, or it has
nasty leak, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you
already have possession of the transformer and the
Feds find out it does have PCB's, your life is over
anyway. You DON'T want to simply dump the old oil out
and refill it, since that will only dilute it and will
make you more of a criminal. I've dealt with disposing
of hazardous materials at work, and it ain't cheap. If
it can go to an incenerator, at least you have a
"grave". I've never dealt with PCB's and don't know if
they can be incinerated. If it has to go to a
landfill, your liability for any future contamination
follows you to your grave.

Better not to know.

Adam