PCBs

Original poster: "miles waldron" <mileswaldron@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear All,

My friend has recently found an old 5KVA distribution transformer. It says:

WAGNER TRANSFORMER
TYPE: HEB
SPEC E370-F51G8
FORM: 39CNX
60 CYCLES
2.3 AMPS
NO. K6G7676

We can understand the wiring diagram, and the transformer works. But we are
concerned that the oil contains PCBs. The liquid floats on water. The oil is
light yellow and non viscous and splashes around quite easily.

Question:

Can we replace this oil with newer oil, or just don't care and make sure it
doesn't leak, or make our own Hudson River like General Electric?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Miles