RE: Toroid made easy

Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>

It depends on what type of SS you have and what you
mean by "ruined". SS components can be cast, forged,
or fabricated. Forging is done at over 2,000 deg. C.
Casting is obviously red hot as well (I've bought cast
components, but am not familiar with the process).
Fabricated SS components can be cut, welded, and
annealed, which again involves intense heat. After
annealing, it is often pickled and passivated. While
the welding heat affected zones (HAZ) are never quite
as corrosion resistant as the raw SS, a good weld,
properly treated, will have the same appearance as the
rest of the SS. Having said that, I agree that piling
charcoal on 316L would be a waste of money. Save your
money and use a cheaper grade carbon steel and you can
always get it chrome plated.

Adam

<snip>