Re: A&E Tesla coil, and Mind Freak. (fwd)

Moderated and approved by: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 09:45:26 -0800
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: A&E Tesla coil, and Mind Freak. (fwd)

At 05:23 AM 12/25/2006, Tesla list wrote:
>Moderated and approved by: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

I'd venture that a good amount of this sort of work is non-union, and
it's not clear that a one-off tesla coil exhibitor would get a lot of
support from the folks at Local 44 (the IATSE local that deals with
special effects here in Southern California).  When I was working in
that business, I'd say about 1/3 of our work was on union shoots, and
the rest not.  Commercials, music videos, trade shows, etc., tend to
be non-union (at least for EFX work).  It's the regular series and
feature films that are union.

But it's just this sort of shenanigan that is why unions are nice in
entertainment.

Or, even better, someone like Jeff Parisse, who has toiled for years
to convince producers that it's really worth it to hire a
professional, rather than someone who does it on the side.  (Not that
the coil performs any differently, it's all the *other stuff*..
insurance, supporting equipment, knowledge of how the shooting
process works, heck, even knowledge of the trade jargon.)

An interesting look at the industry from the viewpoint of a union electrician:
http://filmhacks.wordpress.com/