Re: Inductance of a capacitor? (fwd)

Original poster: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 19:23:50 -0700
From: Terrell Fritz <terrellfone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Inductance of a capacitor? (fwd)

Hi,

You just "resonate" it...  "Typically" it is done with high dollar network
analyzers for fancy caps with "Q"s that really cannot be measured...  But
say 100nF at 10nH resonates at 5MHz...  Pretty easy to do with simple
equipment with caps like we use.  The signal generator's internal
resistance (50 ohms) might be a problem in some cases for the
measurement.  But in general, for the caps we like, pretty simple test
equipment can resolve the resonate frequency of the cap and thus the
internal "L"...  But really, it is always too small to "care" for us...

Cheers,

         Terry