Re: More details for diagnosing coil problems. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 18:43:49 -0800
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: More details for diagnosing coil problems. (fwd)

Hi John,

Thanks for your update. Right off the top, I can tell you that the NST
is very small power. That in itself is major problem with getting longer
sparks. Small coils are really sensitive to height above ground or when
placing on a metal plate such as the metal table you mentioned. The coil
will always need to be retuned when changing height or say throwing a
counterpoise under the coil. For example, if your coil "is" tuned well,
and you decided to throw a counterpoise under it, you would immediately
find that spark length would decrease. Retuning is required. The coils
are very sensitive to external objects. The large the coil is, the less
the ground height affects the coil.

Regarding the topload ball. You'll probably want to position it directly
on top of the coil. If you don't, you will experience corona off the top
of the secondary. The topload should "shield" the secondary from corona
and possible arcing. A ball is the "last topload" that needs to have
significant space between the coil and topload. Due to the spherical
shape and dependent on the topload size, the topload may or may not
sufficiently shield the top of the secondary. For toroid shapes, the
shielding is far less a problem. The toroid is basically a horizontal
plate with a ring of some size at it's outer edge. The horizontal flat
plate area performs the shielding with ease, so the topload can be
placed higher above the secondary without the corona problems. A sphere
is just geometrically difficult unless the sphere is significant in size.

The coil will arc to air or to a grounded object. If the power is so low
that a nice long arc is just rare or non-existent, then a grounded
object near the topload can be used.

If you want to increase spark length significantly, upgrade the NST. Try
to find something in the 12kV to 15kV range and between 30mA and 60mA.
This is really what the coil needs (and lower the top terminal). When
the top terminal is lowered, remember to retune.

Take care,
Bart