Tesla first start up problems. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 18:57:43 +0000
From: Trevor Keast <trevor_keast@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Tesla first start up problems.

Hi Guys,

I am new to this mailing list but I was hoping that someone might be able to
help me out with some problems I am having with my newly built tesla coil.

A rough spec of my coil is as follows,

15KV 30ma NST
14 turns on the primary, 1/4in copper tubing spaced at 1/4in
6 inch diameter secondary, 24inches of windings, approx. 900 turns.
4 inch topload made from aluminum tubing
Beer Bottle / salt water cap. 12 bottles, approx 0.1uF

I checked and double checked everything and then decided to run it outside
at night.  The spark gap was sparking with a considerable amount of power
however that was all that was happening.

I took the top load off at one point and left just the end of the secondary
winding sticking up.  When I did this the end of the wire had a slight
corona and about a 1/4 inch spark emitting from it.

There were no coronas in the beer bottle cap even though I didnt suppress it
with oil yet.

I tried tuning it and tried running it on about every turn of the primary.
It just seemed to be really lacking in power.

Any advice would be most helpful.  I would love to get this coil going!

Kind regards,

Trevor

http://www.msn.co.uk/newsletters