Re: real life applications

Original poster: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>

>> A small point.  Someone (Marc Seifer? Apologies if wrong.)
>>     found an article where Tesla, originally critical of van de
Graaff
>>    generators, said, roughly:
>>        On second thought, should work, even be useful.
>>
>>     I wonder, sometimes, how many other 'chganges of mind' never
>>     got reported as widely...

>     That's interesting because Harry Goldman reprinted an article on
> VDG's written by Tesla in the 1930's in which he gave a good
> analytical estimate of performance and I can't remember any scorn in
> it.  Somehow I'm surprised at the suggestion.

       At a guess, we are describing more or less the same instance,
       with me getting the name wrong and perhaps the initial
       skepticism replaced after some thought.

       Be interesting to know for sure.

        best
         dwp
At one time, Tesla also disagreed with Einstein's theory about getting energy from nuclear reactions. My guess is that when Tesla was studying this, he was working within the 'belt of stability' ie, the portion of the periodic chart where to fuse atoms would take an input of energy rather than release it as in tritium/deuterium fusion. This, of course was all long before tritium was even discovered ( approx. 1933). Of course Madame Curie was working to identify several radioactive elements such as radium and polonium, but again...those elements gave of plenty of radiation...but to undergo any type of transmutation other than natural decay, some type of energy input was needed( accelerator via a Tesla coil eg.). So yes, Tesla disagreed with some on certain principles of all the new science of the era, and would later have to say he was mistaken in his original thoughts....as would any good scientist. After all, those areas of science were secondary to his life's work.
Mike