Re: 3-phase DC power supply

Original poster: Ray von Postel <vonpostel@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: Russell L Thornton <Russell.L.Thornton@xxxxxxxx>

Hi guys,
A friend of mine has a 30 KV, High current DC power supply that we want to drive a new coil with. We plan to use a high power radar switch for the gap. The problem is the power supply is 3-phase and we only have 220 available. Does any one have any experience with this or any suggestions on how to power this monster.
Thanks,
Russell

Hi Russell:
The conversion of 220 single phase to 220 three phase is a common problem. I am aware of 2 types of converters. The first is the capacitive converter and the second is the rotary converter. They are rated in horse power and each has it's own advantages. Suggest you run a search on the internet for "phase converter" to see which one meets your requirements. I just bought a 2 HP rotary converter to run a 3 phase 220 volt, 1 HP motor from 220 single phase. This was for use on a machine tool and not a Tesla coil. The rotary converter was about $450. An additional expense would be a motor starter to connect between the 220 single phase and the rotary converter. This was on hand so cost me nothing. Once you know the size and type you need you should be able to save some money on ebay.

Ray