From: <mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>Tesla list
To: <mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, August 27, 2006 12:48 PM
Subject: Re: Question on Primary Lead Heating

Original poster: "Scott Hanson" <<mailto:huil888@xxxxxxxxxxxx>huil888@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Jim -

I'd look for simple explanations like before examining more exotic scenarios.

First, when you say "battery clip", do you mean something like an
overgrown alligator clip?  And your primary lead is attached to this
clip via a small screw?

The localized heating at the clip/lead junction could be simple
resistive heating, with the conducted heat making the first few
inches of primary lead hot.

The great majority of these alligator and battery clips are copper
plated steel, and are not very good for high current applications,
especially at RF frequencies. Also, I'd suspect the clamp screw  for
the primary lead is also just zinc plated steel. First, try
eliminating the screw connection by soldering the primary lead
directly to the battery clip. Make sure the "teeth" of the battery
clip (or whatever makes contact with the actual primary winding) are
bright and clean, and that the spring is strong enough to assure good
contact with the primary.

See if these modifications reduce or eliminate the localized heating.

As another way to explore the "induction heating" theory, you can
support small pieces of different metals (steel, aluminum, copper,
etc) on a small plastic pedestal near the primary. If they get hot,
then there is some induction  heating going on. You can attach a
small liquid crystal "thermometer strip" (used for aquariums) to the
piece of metal to immediately see temperature rise as the coil runs.

Regards,
Scott Hanson

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <<mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>