Units of electricity

Original poster: Jared E Dwarshuis <jdwarshui@xxxxxxxxx>

The mechanical units of electricity:

I have often pondered why there are so many close analogies between
the mechanical world and the electrical world. Certainly it is true
that force was pivotal in defining electricity, but there is an
overall pattern that emerges in the intrinsic properties.

We start by playing a simple algebra game with the fundamental unit of
charge "q"

We multiply meters by both the numerator and denominator and write:

q = m ( As/m )

I = m/s ( As/m )

d(I)/dt = m/(ss) ( As/m )

Whenever we encounter a unit of electricity and see Amp's. We must
group it to satisfy:
 ( As/m)     Also known as: (Coulombs per meter)

Thus Voltage with the units of: kg mm 1/sss 1/A gets written as: kg m/
ss   (m/As)
 Or simply:

Voltage = Force (m/As)
E = kg/ss (m/As)
Resistance = kg/s (m/As)sqrd
Capacitance = ss/kg (As/m)sqrd
Permittivity = ss/ m kg (As/m)sqrd
Magnetic flux = kg m/s (m/As)
B = kg/ms (m/As)
L = kg (m/As)sqrd
Permeability = kg/m (m/As)sqrd

Force = Mass x Acceleration  and Voltage = L dI/dt  are now equivalent
Force = kx and q = CV are now equivalent
Newton's second law and Lenz law are now equivalent
The expressions for impedance are now equivalent to the mechanical
world.
u e = density/force = ss/mm
Esqrd e = Bsqrd /u = density times velocity squared = pressure
(incompressible fluid flow)

I hope this will aid people in conceptually understanding electricity
a little bit better.

Sincerely Jared Dwarshuis
August 23, 2006