Re: Tesla coil for wireless data transmission?

Original poster: acmq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Original poster: jbrave <onephatcat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi,  I joined the list just to see if anyone has done any work, or
> knows of any attempts to use tesla coil technology for transmitting
> wireless data?

Old spark radio tramsmitters, used for radiotelegraphy, were essentially
Tesla coils with antennas. This was necessary at that time, when radio
receivers were very insensitive, and so huge voltages and powers at the
antenna were required. Look at the system used by Marconi for the first
transmission across the Atlantic in 1901, and you will recognize a Tesla
coil.

> Related questions:
>
> What is the smallest functional tesla coil size?

With a semiconductor switch, it's possible to build one in a silicon chip,
if you want.

> Can a tesla coil be built with such specs that it could be used with
> mobile computers without damaging them, yet put out enough energy
> that data could be trancieved over a wide distance?

You can transmit data with a transmitter similar to a Tesla coil, and it
can be small. I have tried this with success. Outdated technology, but works.

> Could it be used both as a power source and a data connection, so
> that a laptop could be powered and have an internet connection?

A power source, maybe at a very short distance, comparable to the size of
the antennas. RF identification tags are around, powered by
electromagnetic fields, and some have quite complicated processors on
them. With very efficient and low-power circuits, maybe some day it will
be possible to power a computer with RF signals transmitted from
significant distance.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz