Re: Strange Phenomenon In DC Powered VTTC

Original poster: "Steve Ward" <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Cameron,

Nothing new here, just normal CW coil behavior ;-).  Thats why i went
and built this huge CW SSTC (though i havent posted it on my website):

http://www.stevehv.4hv.org/CWcoil/

I have a video of the coil in CW mode (very impressive, btw), where
again you pull an arc from the toroid, and it becomes the breakout
point.  As to your swirling, im not sure... that is a little odd.  Ive
played with arcs between magnets, and the magnets cause the arcs to
swirl around (this is with a DC arc, i dont know about AC, but id
guess it wouldnt work as well).

High power CW coils can be real fun ;-).  Now that ive upped my
breaker to 30A, i might try for 30" CW sparks maybe (best so far is
22" i think).  The coil produces 36" sparks in full-wave or half-wave
input (of course the power draw changes by a factor of 2).  CW at
7.2kW should be fun.

Steve

Original poster: "Cameron B. Prince" <cplists@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hey guys,

I got the DC power VTTC going tonight and noticed something I've never seen
before. The coil runs on a single MOT with a full wave rectifier and filter
cap at about 2kVDC. I'm getting a 3 inch discharge so far that is virtually
silent. I was playing around with the discharge drawing arcs. I noticed that
you can start an arc on the side of the torroid and it will begin to swirl
around the side of the torroid like a little tornado. This continues after
you pull away and I've seen it continue to run for almost a minute. This is
while the primary discharge output from the electrode continues.

It's a really neat display. I tried to capture it with my camera here:

http://www.teslauniverse.com/members/cprince/images/dc_vttc/DSC00127.JPG

Have any of you seen this before?

Thanks,
Cameron