Re: Streamer Vs. Strike Distance Factor.

Original poster: "Steve Ward" <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

Terry,

I find that all coils might not be the same.  Here is an interesting
pic of "Big Bruiser", the giant coil DC Cox made:

http://www.tb3.com/tesla/ch2005/pages/IMG_5677.html

What i find interesting is that the coil was just sputtering with
corona (maybe 2-3'), when it just lets out a spark all the way to
ground (which is like 18 feet).  So either something funky happened
with the spark gap (and it got a few BIG bangs in a row), or the free
air streamer to ground strike ratio is way off!  Of course at higher
power, the coil seemed to behave like most coils, with ground strikes
only a little longer than free air streamers.  I might say that a
factor of 1.3 is a little small though, seems 1.5 might even be
resonable.  Id have to do some careful tests to really give you a
"good" number, and not just a wild guess.

Steve

Hi All,

I was working on the newer version of ScanTesla today.  Adding
elevation and temperature to the streamer length stuff...   So us
folks in Colorado won't have a 20% streamer length advantage anymore >:o))

But I was wondering if you guys could help me out with one constant?

It is "air streamer length vs. ground strike length".  Right now I
have it at "1.3".  So a 10 inch air discharge will hit a ground point
at 13 inches.  It is the ground strike distance divided by the air
streamer distance.

If anyone has a guess at to that factor, send it to me at:

vardan01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Maybe a very short description of the coil (NST, DRSSTC, ect.)
too.  I will report back the numbers after I have collected them
together.  If you have any thoughts on this include those too...

Thanks a bunch!!

Cheers,

        Terry