Re: Tool Steel's

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx In a message dated 8/14/06 11:42:55 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Original poster: "Glen McGowan" <glen.mcgowan@xxxxxxxxx>

Would a bunch of deep spark plug sockets be better in a spark gap
compared to copper?  I'm not talking the cheap chrome plated stuff. I
mean good quality sockets. You wouldn't think it would oxidize very
easily like copper.

Hi Glen,

When you consider the very high thermal conductivity of copper and the extremely low electrical resistance, it may still be a better deal than steel despite the oxidation rate. If you knew the exact composition of the steel alloy, you could do some quantitative comparison, but the mixtures that I've seen are all much poorer than good old copper and brass.

Matt D.