Re: NST Fried?

Original poster: Gomez Addams <gomezaddams@xxxxxxxxx>

Leo,
 Can you get an arc between _each_ HV bushing and the (grounded) case?
If not, one side of the secondary has failed open.  This is a common
failure mode.

On Aug 11, 2006, at 6:11 AM, Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Hajdrowski, Leo T." <leo.hajdrowski@xxxxxxx>

Hello Everyone,

After switching from x-ray capacitors to MMC's my son's and my
tesla coil was running great for about 5 minutes producing
beautiful long streamers....what a sight!

Then it just stopped.  I disconnected the NST xfmr (12KV - 60MA)
from the coil, connected a pair of wires to the terminals to see if
it would produce an arc.  It did, but the wires had to be a minimum
of 1/4" away before the arc would start and it would grow to only
about 1".

Is my NST fried?  Can it be fixed?

Thanks.

        Leo