RE: MMC Question.

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Hi Glen:

There are two similar polypropylene-dielectric capacitor product lines
made by Cornel Dubilier - the 940 and the 942 series.  The 942 series is
widely used in Tesla coils and has proven to be reliable in that
application.  The 940 series is not rated for as much current and has
been seen to fail in Tesla coil duty.  It's the inferior 940 series that
has the suspiciously identical specs to your STK caps.

In a spark gap (A.K.A. disruptive) coil, the cap is charged slowly at a
relatively low current, limited by the power supply rating - 60mA (or
thereabouts) in your case.  But when the spark gap fires, the discharge
current is very brief, but can be in the hundreds of Amps.  This places
some very stringent demands on the capacitor, and very few caps are up
to this challenge.

BTW, I don't recall what voltage your NST is, but if it's a 15/60,
you'll want a cap .015-.02uF to be optimal, so your .0094uF cap is
slightly light if you're shooting for a LTR cap.  It will definitely
work, just not as well as it might.  LTR means that your cap is
significantly larger than the value that would be mains-resonant (Larger
Than Resonant) with the NST secondary.  The mains-resonant value was
once thought to be optimal, but current wisdom is to use a value 1.5-2
times this value, for both performance and durability reasons.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

> Original poster: "Glen McGowan" <glen.mcgowan@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Thanks for the extra effort regarding the caps.
>
> Regarding the peak current, both Charts show the same values for peak
> current. I must be missing something(?). I'm not building a beast by
> any means. But,this is my first coil and plan to power it with a
> 15/60 NST. My MMC will use 16 of the STK's in series.
>
> Wouldn't the current remain at 60mA throughout the tank?
>
> I'm all ears, still learning so everything is educational at this
> point. As long as I don't stop my heart I consider it a learning
> experience. I would like to avoid the "power up and run for the
> hills" avenue as much as possible.
>
> On 8/7/06, Tesla list <<mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Original poster: Vardan

<<mailto:vardan01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>vardan01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
om

> Hi,
>
> I am a bit "concerned" about the STK caps.  One will note the specs
here:

<http://www.stkelectronics.com/pdf/MP89.pdf>http://www.stkelectronics.co
m/pdf/M