Re: Longitudinal Forces in Tesla Coil Metallic Conductors

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I have the pleasure of exploding a few wires and also have a wire collection from my 16kJ cap bank. I did a test fire of a can crush with fine wire (.024inch) in a plastic tube to see if the resulting plasma channel was sufficient to give a crushing current. Experimental setup is here.
http://tesladownunder.com/Pulse_Power.htm#Can%20crusher%204
The net result at 4 kJ was slight denting of the can (perhaps equivalent to 500J worth) with no remaining charge on the cap. So the plasma held until the cap emptied but did not allow a high enough peak current compared to the wire. I did not control for the reduced physical strength of the plastic tubing compared to the wire however. With the heavy wire, the can is torn in three pieces in that setup. I don't really see why new physics is suggested by this. The radially expanding wire with a uniform force will bring out inhomogeneities in the wire and magnify them into physical rupture points. (in a way somewhat analagous to the Big Bang giving microwave background irregulatities, but that would really imply some new physics...).
Peter

Hi Bert,
I got a batch of your shrunken quarters years ago and I requested to get the "wire fragments too" ;-))) "Normal" people get a kick out of the coins, but "I" got the wires too since that is what is "really cool" :o)) ........ There are inertial and explosive forces that tend to bend the wire up too along with impacts to the containment walls... The wire fails in weak areas that become dominate fracture areas. I suspect plasmas became conductors as the system ripped apart too.........
Cheers,
        Terry