Re: Longitudinal Forces in Tesla Coil Metalic Conductors

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>

Terry and all,

Just a quick note - if you Google "Ampere Force" you'll find LOTS more
hits, quite a few of them in the published literature.

+>Ok!!  Now we have something to go on ;-)) - T.<+

Those on the list who also play with very high currents such as coin
shrinking or (especially) exploding wires may encounter some rather
"interesting" effects associated with wire fragmentation. Under very
fast, high current pulses, wires shatter into relatively equal sized
fragments, with fracture surfaces showing clear evidence of tensile
forces. This phenomenon does not appear (at least a first glance) to be
consistent with Maxwell/Lorentz forces.

For some very interesting reading, try the following books by Peter and
Neal Graneau:
"Ampere-Nuemann Electrodynamics of Metals"
"Newtonian Electrodynamics"
"Newton Versus Einstein"

Another fairly good link is a Masters Thesis on Longitudinal
electrodynamic forces:
http://www.df.lth.se/~snorkelf/Longitudinal/Slutdok.html

Best regards,

Bert

Tesla list wrote:

Hi,
The base reference seems to be here:
http://fusor.net/board/view.php?site=fusor&bn=fusor_other&key=1128021481

If we search on the keys Richard mentions:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22Amperian+electrodynamics%22
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22Ampere-Weber+electrodynamics%22

There are no definitive references.  The links circle back to
fusor.net.
According to Richard:
"Check it out all you physics buffs. Non-induction, low current apps
 based EE's need not look as Maxwell still provides all the answers
you will ever need."
"If" there is some quaint effect there, it seems to be practically no
 information on the net about it.  It does not seem to be a concern
to us in any case, so we will leave it up to fusor.net.
I will kill the thread...
Cheers,
Terry