Re: Damage to idle tc

Hi Mike,

Probably didn't hurt the cap. Re-route the cable and insulate it better. I've routed cables inside hdpe tubing before just for this purpose. I no longer need to do that, but there was a time.

On my 8.5" coil, I used a pvc stand which has a top plate the primary and secondary sit on. Under the top plate is my rotary. The pvc stand has cross-members which I use to route cable (simple because it was available and prevents any cables near the motor and disc). I don't rely on the pvc insulation to do my bidding. It is simply a means of getting a cable from point A to B. When it comes to insulating primary cables, etc.., I use "distance" as my primary means of insulation which included "not routing" wires inside pvc if it is near an area that has a potential of arcing. In other words, I ensure every cable is "not capable" of arcing to anything else.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "MIKE HARDY" <MHARDY@xxxxxxxxxx>

When I run my 4" coil in the garage, I notice sparks between the primary tap cable, and the metal trim (an old formica tabletop) that is on the base board of my 6" coil that is not running. I took a closer look, and realised the 600v rubber insulation had burned thru, and actually burned into the formica, and wood. I was thinking this might be causing damage to my tank cap (3 X 0.22uF, 20kV maxwells in serirs) . Anyone noticed any such problems?