Re: dangers in standing to close to a tesla coil

Original poster: Gregory Morris <gbmorris@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi,

Have you thought about putting a ground rod on a stand next to the coil? This would also probably be better than holding the rod, as there would be no chance of the current flowing through you. As far as standing close to the coil though, there is always a chance of RF burns and the like, but I suspect that if the limit of spark production appears to be in the vicinity of 8" and you stand twice that far away, you're probably pretty safe (at least from the streamers, heh). There's always ozone and the various nitrogen compounds produced as well, so it's probably advisable to make runs of any reasonable length in well-ventilated areas.

Greg

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Langer Giv'r" <transworldsnowboarding19@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello, i recently lit up my 3" coil and am wondering, what are the possible hazards of standing like 3 feet away? I am running a 4 stack MOT, 25nF cap, static gap, 0.48uF pri and 21mH sec. For some reason, I dont get any streamers or outbreaks unless i hold a ground rod right next to the topload, then i get about 8 inch sparks. But, I dont feel to comfertable standing that close to it, is there any safety concern? like RF burns, carcinogens, etc.
Thanks