Re: Big Insulator

Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>

I spent a while longer with my heat gun, and the
insulator appears to have a 2" diameter hollow
cylinder from one end to the other, completely filled
with sulfur. Melting is slow with my heat gun, so I
may try drilling my way through, then melting the
remainder. However, the sulfur looks pretty hard, so
drilling may not be much better, or even possible. The
torch doesn't seem to hurt the porcelain, as long as I
keep temps close to sulfur's melting point. The heat
gun is nearly as bad at burning the sulfur as the
torch. Once the sulfur gets soft enough to flow, the
combination of heat and forced air causes the sulfur
to start burning. However, only the liquid sulfur
burns, so it's easier to control than with the torch.
I may try using a variac with my heat gun. I tried
burning the sulfur off the outside, which left a
fairly soft ash, making cleanup easier. The outside
surface where the endcap is attached is deliberately
rough, and would be impossible to clean any other way.
I'm harvesting the rest of the sulfur.

Adam