Re: DC Motor

Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>

Thanks. This is a cheap (~$500) winch, so I suspect
the motor is, and the PSU was, as cheap as possible. I
wired it up to my rectifier and wired up the
forward/reverse switch. (I got a box of loose parts
with everything disassembled and the PSU missing.) I
had forgotten that I had an old version of Electronic
WorkBench. I drew up several circuits in Electronic
WorkBench and it looked like a cap in the range of 200
to 500 would eliminate most ripple. So I went to my
shop and wired up several caps and measured DC and AC,
with no load. After playing a bit, I decided to just
try the motor, to be sure I had the polarity right on
the forward/reverse switch. After running the motor
forward and reverse several cycles, it tripped my 30
amp breaker. I fried my 400 volt 10 amp rectifier.
Upon closer inspection, the motor can't be used
without the winch, as the winch gearbox is one of the
motor's endcaps. I think there may be a bad gear in
the gearbox, which may have been what blew the
original PSU.

I'm abandoning this project.
Adam