Re: Question on Variac lighting

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr@xxxxxxx>

Hi JT...

you didnt loose the ability to control the coil ... what you did by adding capacitance was increase the time needed to charge the cap. If you added more bleeder resistors to the system, you increased the need for voltage ( current) to top the caps to a voltage hi enuf to jump the spark gap. Basically you loaded the pick up truck with a heavier load and now it takes more gas pedal to get the truck going.... :) strange analogy but it sounds good ;)~

my coil doesnt start producing streamers until the variac is at 70% or so but it will maintain a streamer as I turn the variac down to 40% once the spark gap is running....

most coiler set thier systems up for longest streamers and sometimes have to deal with the quirks of streamer production coming in at 50%+ on the variac.

did you by chance change the spark gap width setting when adjusting things? By opening up the gap width you increase the minimum voltage ( takes more voltage thus a higher variac setting) requirements to get the coil to produce streamers.... if you feel you need to have the control factor back in line, close the gap width a tad to get the coil running at a lower voltage on the variac.... but also be prepared for shorter streamer length due to the decreased gap width... with a smaller gap width, the system will fire at a lower voltage but in turn not producing the power capable of what the system is designed to do...

Scot D

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "JT Bowles" <jasotb@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I had a 7.4(about) nF MMC in my tesla coil. The spark gap would light at about 25% on my variac.

After some issues, I now have a 10 nF MMC. But now, my spark gap lights at 55%! I have lost much, much control of power of my coil.

*Before 55% on the variac, i can clearly hear hissing and high voltage corona coming from the coil, but in pitch dark, i see NO sources for the sound
*Coil starts up at 55% power.
Can somebody help me. I want to regain the ability to controll the coil. Any suggestions or solutions?

Please respond ASAP. I am using my coil for my "Senior Success Seminar" for my high school(need to pass to graduate)