Re: DRSSTC Tuning and Split Frequencies of Dual coupled system

Original poster: "Bob (R.A.) Jones" <a1accounting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Oops, I few mistakes in my post and the explanation was terrible.
Hopefully the version below is better.

Ignoring high order modes and assuming a series connected primary and lumped
approximation.
Below the normal resonance frequency of the series primary it will have a
capacitive impedance (looks like C) and above the resonance frequency it
will have an inductive impedance (looks like L).

As seen from the primary the secondary is a series circuit just like the
primary. The impedance of the secondary referred to the primary is an
impedance in series with the primary L given by (Lm*s)^2/Zsecondary
(Lm is the mutual inductance, s is the Laplace complex variable) Because
of the reciprocal the L goes to C and C goes to L. Hence the secondary
referred to an mpedance in series with the primary L is an L below the
secondary resonance frequency and C above it.

Therefore at frequencies below the normal resonance the primary circuit
looks like C in series with an L(the referred impedance of the secondary)
and at a frequency when the magnitude of the two impedances are equal they
will resonate i.e. the lower pole. Similar above the normal resonance the
primary circuit looks like L in series with C(the referred impedance of the
secondary) and at some frequency they will resonate i.e. the upper pole.

Even if the primary and secondary are resonant at different frequencies the
two resonances still occur but its more tricky to explain in particular the
movement of the resonances. Essential as you separated the primary and
secondary frequencies the poles frequencies asymptotically approach the
frequencies of the primary and secondary. Note from  input to output the
original resonance/s have disappeared to be replaced by the two described
above.

The above assumed a series connected primary but a parallel connected
primary is similar.

I have a Mathcad 2000 files that shows the effect along with the input
impedance and transfer function if any one wants a copy of it.

> Robert (R. A.) Jones
> A1 Accounting, Inc., Fl
> 407 649 6400

Robert (R. A.) Jones