Re: DRSSTC Tuning and Split Frequencies of Dual coupled system

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Qndre and others,

I went on to try and analyse the DRSSTC in the same way as Richie did for the untuned primary SSTC. I was stuck for ages, but lately I got some help from Richie. He showed me how to derive a transfer function for Vtop/Ipri and I was able to use this to predict what primary inductance and capacitance would give good results for a given DRSSTC system.

The basic method is to choose the magnitude of the transfer function such that the topload will get to its breakout voltage just as the primary current reaches the maximum value you dare to use. If you choose the magnitude too small, you won't be able to achieve good-sized sparks without dangerous levels of primary current. If you choose the magnitude too big, the primary current won't ever build up to a respectable level (since Vtop is always clamped around the toroid's breakout voltage) and the sparks will be too small again.

I've not got round to writing the transfer function thing up, and I don't intend to until I've built my next DRSSTC and seen if the results agree with my new mental model of the thing. In the meantime, I stated my position on frequency splitting about as best I could in this 4hv.org thread.

http://4hv.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?7499

I've also posted articles about frequency splitting on this list before.

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy.com