Re: Hertz was: Re: Breakdown voltage at submillimeter distances?

Original poster: <davep@xxxxxxxx>

[Insert Leydne thruout....]
> Yes I am surprised that such a detector worked.

> Apparently the effect was discovered when Lyden jars where discharged
> and it was noticed that near by Lyden jars of similar size and with a
> similar spark gap discharged even though they where not charged.  The
> pictures I have seen show a Lyden jar with a circular shorting bar (the
> transmitter I assume) and a loop of similar size (no Lyden jar) with a
> spark gap (the receiver). Presumable such an arraignment did not have
> the same resonant frequency.
   This last touches on a sometimes overlooked point about
   'all' circuits.  It is quite common for there to be TWO
   or more, resonant frequencies.  Not necessarily harmonically
   related.  In this case, assuming near identical loops (or
   arm sets) at transmit and receive end, ONE set of freqs will
   be equal, set by the sizes.  The Tx end will have a _second_,
   influenced by the leyden jar, stray lead inductacne, etc.

   The experiment works as well, or 'better' with wilful chokes
   to isolate the energy storage cap from the rf generating
   gap.  The analogy to classic gap Tesla coil arrangments with
   filters, etc, is exact.

   Marconi (at the risk of drifting OT, but we've already been to
   Lodge & Bose) started at what would be low microwave, and
   worked his way down in frequency.  To some extent Tesla started
   at the low end and worked his way up.

   best
    dwp