Re: False sense of security, thread locker

Hi Jim,

I also did exactly this with my disc. My set screws are course thread (1/4-20 x 1/2"L) and secures the tungsten in place. The set screw is installed into the threaded hole at the edge of the disc which runs down to the center of the electrode hole. The G10 composite is quite strong for this type of thread. I turn the set screw down onto the electrode so that it is nice and snug (not enough to strip the thread).

I've never had one back out or had an electrode move out of place, and I do check from time to time.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Jim --- yes, that's correct. We have been building them this way for 30 plus years and they are used 7 days/wk x 2-3 times per day in museums. Everything holding up fine.

Dr. Resonance

Hi Tom,

Are you saying than to have the tungsten pressed directly into the G10 and
installing the set screws perpendicular to the tungsten and directly into
the outer rim of the g10 rotor?

Jim Mora

Sorry but I have seen and heard so many methods of doing this. I'm glad the
12" was built first. It really is turning out nice. I'm not at all worried
about flying stuff but I was really surprised by the molten loctite and have
emailed people who rely on it to keep the nuts on their all thread.