Re: False sense of security, thread locker

Original poster: Ben McMillen <spoonman534@xxxxxxxxx>

Jim,
I have found that the wicking threadlocker (green) is seems to be ALOT stronger, however I believe that it suffers (well, is designed for) the same release at high temp (this has helped loosen several otherwise frozen tread-locked bolts in the past)..

Coiling In Pittsburgh
- Ben McMillen

Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Original poster: "Jim Mora"

Hello All,

Through my own stupidity I applied 710 loctite
thread locker(red) to my set screws on my 12 �
rsg and twenty four hours later tried to break em
loose for better adjustments. I usually use the
blue on my motor cycle. Well needless to say I
was twisting allen wrenches into miniature wrought iron gates.

Then I went to their web site and discovered a
surprise. It liquefies at 250 C (450 F), I broke
out my circuit board iron (just kidding) a Weller
140watt gun. Appling heat to the longish set
screw liquefied the thread locker very well thank you.

Now this is a bit disturbing as the set screw is
holding the tungsten. My experiment allowed me to
twist the set screw at half that temperature
although I don�t have a thermal couple.

Now the clincher. I�m only using set screws on
one side of my g10 through the allthread and
brass nut method the other side is securely
torqued down and double so with the new red paste
stick, nice stuff except for one caveavat: it
liquefies at 150 C (300 F) almost lubricates�

Weren�t we just talking about flying tungsten?
Would any of you material engineers out there
like to offer a more suitable alternative?

Long Sparks and Secure nuts,
Jim Mora