Re: potential gain vs. power in TC systems

I want one :-)) Could be useful for 240V applications here perhaps. What is the max V rating?? I like the CT modification idea. Maybe I need to take mine apart. I wonder if one could use two US style meters in a balanced 240V application where one is fed the voltage from one 240 side and neutral and the other is fed the other 240 volt side and neutral.

Gerry R.

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Gerry,

Remember we use 230V over here. The UK version of the Kill-A-Watt is rated at 230V and 15A which is 3750VA. It looks very similar to pictures that Terry posted of the US version, apart from having a UK socket and plug pins, and seems to be made by the same Chinese company, Prodigit, so I call it a Kill-A-Watt. The Prodigit model number on it is 2000MU.

A while back, I tested it against an old-fashioned electromechanical wattmeter on a DRSSTC load, and found that the two meters agreed within a few percent, even with the lousy power factor. I posted the results here.

It has an overload bleeper that sounds if you ever peg the A/D converter for the current, but I've never heard it sound.

If you want to measure even more power, it would be trivial to modify the meter with a 10:1 current transformer across the internal shunt, so it can read up to 37.5kVA :^)

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy.com/

Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Original poster: "Gerry Reynolds"

Hi Steve,

3.3KW with a kill-a-watt meter??? Mine has a max rating of 125Vac
and 15A for 1875VA. Are there larger ones out there???

Gerry R.