FW: Secondary Question

Original poster: "Rich" <rdjmgmt@xxxxxxxxxx>

Subject: RE: Secondary Question

Original poster: "Rich" <rdjmgmt@xxxxxxxxxx>

Thank you for the reply Gerry and Scot, now I am going slow with this
because I read where the Cp for my transformer was 30nf and I thought I
should make it 30 , now you say 49nf. I planed on a order of 52 caps , I
can get a few more and run 4 strings and get close to 49.
Wire , yes I have a large wooden spool of the silver plated stranded
wire. With 1400 turns per you note and my wire .05 with insulation that
gives me 9"dis x 70" tall. Won't that get out of the normal proportions?

Rich

Hi Rich,

I think we need more details.  What do you mean by C/D caps at 30
(qty or nf)??  9inch dia tube sounds OK, silver plated wire probably
isnt necessary (OK if you already have it, but I wouldn't pay a
premium for it).

Being a static gap, shoot for a Cp of 49 nf.  Your transformer is
mains resonant at 30 nf and this value should be avoided unless you
have experience at resonant charging.  The secondary should have a
winding height of around 40 inches given a 9 inch dia.  The wire
guage should be chosen to give you around 1400 turns with this winding
height.

Gerry R