Re: pole transformer damage?

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Check the continuity of the windings with a DMM, but
it's probably fine unless damage is obvious from a
look inside the can.  I'm guessing accidental tippage
implies a smaller kVA rating, like 5-, 10-, or 15-kVA?
 Such transformers often have a bit of extra room in
the cans, so some sliding around is likely if the
thing falls over.  If the transformer core is sitting
on anything besides the bottom of the can, it is
probably sitting on some blocks of wood.  There's
usually a metal bracket strapped to the top of the
core which is bolted to each side of the can.  Thus,
the cores are always (AFAIK) electrically connected to
the can, and if the bottom of the core has slid such
that it makes contact with the can, big deal.  If, on
the other hand, the *windings* are making contact with
the can, I'd try to re-center the thing enough so that
doesn't happen.

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE